Thursday, February 20, 2014

How do you find your STUFF?

The first question I always get (after, “how do you stay so gorgeous”, pfft), is “where do you get your inventory?”. In case you’re wondering, I’m talking about www.stylecrush.com. When we first started this website, that was my biggest worry. Geez, how will we find good quality, brand name, second hand clothes? I started by putting an ad on Facebook, Kijiji, and some local mom networking websites. Soon, the calls and emails started flooding in. At first I would pretty much buy anything, in constant worry that I wouldn't have enough STUFF to start our business. But as time went on and people got to know us, we had an endless supply of the STUFF. And I got pickier and pickier, only taking items in really great shape and of course only certain brands. If we take brands that are out of our scope, it’s only because they are way too cute to pass up and need to be shared with the world. 

It’s funny, no matter who I am buying from, I get the same story, “my daughter/son only wore that once”. It’s ok people, that’s the whole idea behind second hand clothes. It’s that they've been worn before. I always ask people if they've ever stayed in a hotel and slept in the sheets and used the towels. As long as you give the clothes a good wash, why not? I didn't have the appreciation I do now for second hand clothes. I didn't really understand the whole concept. But now that I’m in it, I’m all over it. When we were researching the industry and visiting some consignment shops, I’ll never forget Julie (my business partner) picking up a pair of Abercrombie jeans that were $12 and looking at me...she said “I just bought these for my son, for $50!". Crazy, eh? Wouldn't you like to have the jeans AND the remaining $38 in your back pocket? Kids ages 8 to 16+ don’t wear out their clothes like the under age 8. So when we get our hands on them they still have lots of life in them. It’s nice to give life to something. Without the associated stretch marks. 

Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment