Monday, March 10, 2014

Geez...is it spring yet?



With only a few days of winter left, I can honestly say that I am so done. Not interested anymore. I don’t want to be freezing cold to the bone all the time anymore. I don’t want to wear 8 layers of clothing just to go outside. My hair is full of static, my skin is dry, and I feel like crying every time it starts snowing again. Coming from a family that enjoys skiing, believe me, these feeling give me a lot of guilt. I am definitely the fair weather skier in our house. 

We can’t say it hasn’t been exciting, I mean frost quakes, polar vortex, extreme cold alerts, snow fall warnings…what more could we ask for! I loved driving white-knuckled all the way up north in white-out conditions.  It was so fun staying up all night with my shaking child explaining repeatedly that the loud bangs were frost quakes, not our house being robbed. I am not sure if working from home has made dealing with winter better or worse? It has given me the opportunity to hide in my basement office, staying warm, drinking tea in my cozy slippers all day. Can’t complain about that, right?

Other than those drives back and forth to school and the kid’s activities, it feels like I haven’t been out of the house or seen anyone in my neighbourhood forever. Do I even have the same neighbours? Did they move? Someone does live there because they keep shoveling my driveway (thanks by the way). I definitely owe them a bottle of wine…whoever they are.  And fashion? Forget about it. Besides realizing that my winter jacket and boots did not deliver what they promised, with respect to keeping me warm in minus 30 weather, I gave up trying to look good. Covered from head to toe, and who cares if it all matches? No one knows it me anyway. And they certainly can’t tell I haven’t had my highlights done in months, or that I haven’t been going to those boot camps I promised myself I would attend.  

So here we are. Days away from the official beginning of spring.  My hair appointment is booked and I am exuding positive energy! I think everyone is ready. We all deserve these upcoming sunny, warm days. Even a little rain will be ok. People are still happy in the rain, they even made a song about singing in the rain. And spring fashions…love it! Great jackets and skirts, beautiful colours and patterns. I even get to bust out my wide leg
jeans again! Yes, they are back! Spring means new beginnings. Hang on everyone. It’s almost here! 

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment